Binny in Secret - Hilary McKay

I have long been a fan of Hilary McKay. Her Casson and Exiles series showcase her ability to capture the gloriously chaotic life of large families, a talent surely nurtured by her own upbringing as one of four sisters. So, I had high hopes for Binny in Secret.

The novel incorporates two alternating stories, which eventually collide. One tells of Binny’s antics. I felt it moved quite slowly and I wasn’t attracted to Binny – she is sulky at best and really nasty at worst. Rose, in the Casson books, can act in similar ways but is clearly a decent person and the reader can understand why she behaves as she does. Binny, on the other hand, just seems like her own worst enemy with no real excuse for her unpleasantness. Some synopses I’ve read talk about “bullying” but it didn’t seem to me that Binny was being bullied; she just starts a petty feud with several other girls at school by refusing to apologise for a mistake she made.

The second story, however, was exemplary and is what I’ll take away from this book. It tells of three cousins before and during World War I. Clarry makes a fascinating and likable protagonist – I much preferred her to Binny. The incident where she sets up an art gallery fills less than a paragraph yet is hilarious and sweet. Her relationship with her brother, Peter, moved me and I loved how butterflies are used as a symbol of their sibling love. Rupe, the third cousin, is very much a stereotype of the naïve young soldier who thought joining the army would be fun and is shocked by the horrors he sees. The way the three grow apart is heartbreaking yet completely realistic. The little twist involving Clarry is lovely and I didn’t see it coming, whereas I guessed the two big mysteries in Binny’s story very quickly.

There are two instances in the book of kids behaving stupidly and something positive happening as a result. One, which happens early on, is Peter jumping from a train and breaking his leg and therefore not having to go to war. Then, towards the end of the novel, a character in Binny’s story does something so stupid, even for a child, that I was incredulous – and although the short-term consequences are bad, something really good comes out of it in the long run. I’m not one for wrapping kids in cotton wool when it comes to books but I do think, in this case, it is irresponsible of the writer. By all means, have a child do something dangerous and suffer for it, but let that be that – don’t have an unexpected benefit.

Overall, I enjoyed this book mainly for the war parts and the loving descriptions of nature. I prefer McKay’s other family series – they have a kind of magic and warmth that this book is lacking – but Binny in Secret was still an unusual and engaging read.


*This review was originally written for Cuckoo Review (New Writing North) and is reprinted with permission*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Girl of Glass - Holly Webb

Run - Kody Keplinger

Songs About Us - Chris Russell