Emily Sparkes and the Competition Calamity - Ruth Fitzgerald

Having enjoyed Emily Sparkes and the Friendship Fiasco, I couldn’t wait to see what she would get up to in Competition Calamity, the second book in this new series. It is impossible to review this book without giving spoilers for Friendship Fiasco, so I recommend reading that before reading this review!

Competition Calamity, unlike its prequel, has a definite plot. Emily attempts to stop her mum from winning a competition that would put their chaotic family and home on TV. I was slightly disappointed as one of my favourite things about the first book was its lack of plot and slice-of-life feel. I also think the tight structure of Competition Calamity meant some of the potential for humour was lost. There definitely weren’t as many laugh-out-loud moments as in Friendship Fiasco. That being said, it did grow on me.

After her dramatic exit in the last book, the ridiculous Chloe is back and, contrary to Friendship Fiasco where she was just a pain, here she is actually really funny. One of my favourite moments was the arrival of her mysterious postcards to Emily and Zuzanna and their reactions. Zuzanna’s X Factor obsession is also amusing. The trio of Emily, Chloe and Zuzanna – a trio that was not formed intentionally and about which Emily and Zuzanna still have their doubts – is an integral part of the story and really works.

A second unexpected arrival is Emily’s Uncle Clive, a biker who moves in with the family and takes over Emily’s room after being thrown out by his girlfriend. He and his pet rat, Lemmy, seemed a bit superfluous to me and I think they take up too much of the book. However, both play key roles towards the end and the fact that Emily has to share a room with her baby sister is a great way for them to bond. I also loved the final twist involving Emily’s mum’s big project. I didn’t see it coming.

Much of the book is dedicated to Emily’s trio trying to make her mum trendier. As someone with little interest in fashion or beauty I found those bits rather tedious. I was totally on the mum’s side and not theirs! But then, I’m not 11. I also don’t think the online conversations between Emily and her friend Bella, who is living in Wales, added anything to the story. It’s good that Emily still makes time for her old friend as well as her new ones, but as we never actually meet Bella, it’s hard to take an interest in her.

However, Emily’s voice never wavers and is fresh, authentic and sweet. She can make the most mundane things seem funny and new. On a whole, while it would be very difficult to match Friendship Fiasco, this book did provide a satisfactory continuation of Emily’s story and I am looking forward to being reunited with Emily, Zuzanna and Chloe when the third book is released next year.


*This review was originally written for Cuckoo Review (New Writing North) and is reprinted with permission*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Girl of Glass - Holly Webb

Run - Kody Keplinger

Songs About Us - Chris Russell